Tuesday, August 5

Dog-gone Blues

Valentines Day is often one of the hardest days for singles--especially women. As if that knowledge wasn't enough, we now have the disconcerting title "Single Awareness Day"-- I suppose because someone thought those who were single weren't "aware" enough already.

Well, take heart my fellow compatriots--we are not alone in our aversion to Single Awareness Day.

I discovered this last February 14th.

I was at home alone in my living room, earnestly praying for a straying friend. For about fifteen minutes there was nothing but silence in my ear, as my head was bowed before the Lord.

But this was not to be for long.

About that time my male German Shepherd, John, commenced to howling like a werewolf on the porch, outside the living room windows. He was all alone, as our female German Shepherd was penned up at that moment to avoid certain little "blessings" which eat enough for ten people and require 2/3 of a day just to take the vet.

He sat there while I was trying to pray.

Crying.

And crying.

And crying.

And crying.

And crying.

In that moment, I discovered a whole new part of "praying without ceasing"--praying when you can't hear yourself think.

I was sitting on the couch, head in my hands, asking God to reach the heart of this girl :

"Oh Lord, please show her You are the true source of confidence---"Hooooooooowwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwllllllllll!!!"
"...that true joy is only found in You..." "Hoooooowwwwwwww
wwwwwwlllllllllllllll!!!!"
"....and that You love her with an everlasting love..." "Hoooooooowwwww
wwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll
Rowowowowow""...Draw her to Yourself".......owowowoowowwww
woowwww!!!!!!!"


Suddenly I found myself yelling inside my head, which, when you think about it,
volume doesn't really make a difference in that particular realm.

"LORD THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND YOUR GRACE,
EVEN WHEN WE TURN AWAY"
.......Hoooooowww
wwwwww
wwwwwlllllllllllllll!!!!


"I PRAISE YOU BECAUSE YOU ALONE ARE WORTHY".........Hooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllll!!!!


This continued for another five minutes, before my prayers changed into petitions for comfort for the dog.

I suppose one might wonder why I didn't simply relocate to another room--but then again, that would've made sense.

So the next time you find yourself single on Valentines Day, bemoaning your estate--just remember that you are not alone. My dog doesn't like it either.

No comments: